By Ben Sullivan
Major League Baseball has announced that Nats third baseman Starlin Castro has been suspended for 30 games without pay over an alleged domestic violence incident earlier this summer.
The club said it plans to release Castro after his suspension ends.
“Having reviewed all of the available evidence, I have concluded that Mr. Castro violated our (Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse) Policy and that discipline is appropriate,” commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement.
MLB issued the 30-game suspension upon completing an investigation into the allegations against Castro.
“We take all allegations of abuse and harassment very seriously,” the Nationals said in a statement. “We fully support the Commissioner’s decision and will be releasing Starlin Castro upon the completion of his suspension. Per the terms of the policy, we will have no further comment on this matter.”
MLB first placed Castro on administrative leave on July 16, and that was later extended to July 29. Last week, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said the club was proceeding as though Castro would not return to the team this season.